Wednesday 5 September 2012

FINAL WORK

Creating straight lines as a guide. A length of string is covered in indigo powder and then held very taught on either side of the fabric. Flicking the string a few times the powder transfers a straight line on the fabric. 




The ingenuity of this simple trick was very funny to me. Back home, I would have tried to find the longest ruler possible and struggle for hours to create what we completed in less than five minutes. 



I decided to create two lengths. First using the diamond print block in vertical stripes. And the second piece to was feature the geometric block and the floral block in alternating vertical stripes.










Trying to replicate the sporadic brushed effect on a much larger piece of fabric proved to be difficult. But I was able to replicate the slight transfer effect that happened by accident during experimentation by printing the table cloth, and pressing my fabric on top.

On the second piece of fabric, it was a last minute miscommunication with Akib who was helping my apply the black paint that spurred me to create a horizontal stripe across the fabric, resulting in a check pattern. 








After printing Akib washed my fabric in Alizarin five times. The colour was still not a match to my experimentation sample.

We said our sad good byes, as the boys were leaving. We hoped we inspired them a fraction of how much they inspired us. 

The following day, still determined to achieve the same result as my sample I washed my fabric three more times. But the attempts were futile. I was quite disappointed that the final length was not the same as my sample. We’ll chalk this one up to design limitations.

Block update: Arrived on the last day. Very exciting to have my own wood block. See Hannah’s blog for an interesting/ funny story, chalk that one up to lost in translation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment